An Echo Of The Past... A Vision For The Future
MACALLA 1916 is a new suite of music composed by Michael Rooney, performed by the Comhaltas National Folk Orchestra of 55 traditional and classical musicians. The MACALLA 1916 suite, while reflecting on this seminal event in Irish history will also place The Easter Rising in the context of Ireland’s story from Famine to present times. Michael Rooney, widely reputed as one of the foremost traditional composers of our time, has composed seven major suites of music, most recently BORÓIMHE. The London performance will be followed by a nationwide concert tour of MACALLA 1916 over Easter 2016. Macalla 1916 will be directed by Ray Conway.
The musical motifs will be:
The Famine in 1847 is seismic in Irish history – the music will take this as its starting point and how this influenced the periods of unrest for the next 50 years.
The Gaelic revival at the turn of the Century – reflecting on the language, dance, music and literature.
The formation of the Gaelic League, the GAA and other Cultural Institutions and the revolutionary movement.
The First World War and the dichotomy in Ireland.
Easter 1916 itself and the road to independence.
Ireland’s development through the ‘40’s and ‘50’s and our entry into the League of Nations.
The Northern Traditions and the dawn of reconciliation.
Ireland’s entry into the E.U. in the ‘70s and the influence Ireland has had on European and World Culture up to the present day.
Confirmed performances for 2016:
· 4th Marth, 2016: Barbican Theatre, London, performance for the Diaspora
· 26th March, 2016 (Easter Saturday) RDS, Dublin, Ócáid Stáit do Ghaolta – State event for the relatives of those who took part in the events of 1916
· 27th March, 2016 (Easter Sunday): TLT Theatre, Drogheda, Co. Louth. (Matthew's Ln, Drogheda +353 41 987 8560 - firstname.lastname@example.org)
· 28th March, 2016: National Opera House, Wexford (High Street, Wexford | +353 53 912 2144 or 1850 4 OPERA | -> BOOK NOW <-
· 29th March, 2016: Cork City Hall (Anglesea St, Cork +353 Tickets: www.clasac.ie / Tel: 01 836 3060 / 087 813 7900 / 087 418 7228)
· 31st March and 1st April, 2016: Garage Theatre, Monaghan (Monaghan Education Campus, Old Armagh Rd, Monaghan +353 47 81597 - www.garagetheatre.com)
· 2nd April, 2016: Knocknarea Arena, Sligo (Sligo IT) | -> BOOK TICKETS NOW <- | 071-916 1518
· 3rd April, 2016: Millennium Forum, Derry (Newmarket St, Derry/Londonderry, BT48 6EB - Box Office: +44(0)28 7126 4455 - www.millenniumforum.co.uk